Mikkeller is a Danish microbrewery founded by Mikkel Borg Bjergsø och Kristian Klarup Keller 2006. It was crowned Danish Microbrewery of the Year by Danske Ølentusiaster in both 2007 and 2008, and in 2010 it reached spot 10 on RateBeer´s list over the best breweries in the world.
Mikkeller is a so-called “nomadic brewery” (contract brewery) which means that they rent space in various other breweries rather than having their own place. In addition to making beer in Denmark, they have also worked in countries such as Norway, United Kingdom, Belgium and the United States.
Mikkeller runs two bars in central Copenhagen: Mikkeller Bar at Vesterbro and Mikkeller & Friends at Nørrebro. There is also a Mikkeller Bar in central Stockholm.
Examples of Mikkeller beers:
- Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Barrel-aged Bourbon.
This stout pours very dark black with almost no head and feels very smooth in the mouth. It is velvety with no carbonation. The complex flavour profile includes hints of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, honey, liquorice, leather, and even some coffee.
- Beer Geek Shake Barrel-Aged Bourbon
This stout is placed in bourbon barrels for eight months to get the flavour just right. The very strong presence of vanilla, but also roasted malts, chocolate and coffee.
- Spontan Quadrupel Blueberry
This sour ale is brewed with 2.5 kg of blueberries per litre of beer, before being aged in oak barrels.
- Nelson Sauvignon BA Riesling
This very dry and vinous Bière Brut is fermented with champagne yeast, brettanomyces and enzymes, and time-aged in German Rielsing wine casks.
Ghost Brewing is run by Morten Kristoffersen and Bo Høyer, the dynamic duo behind Danish Beeer House and Bryggens Ølbar. Ghost Brewing rents space at various other microbreweries instead of having their own fixed abode.
Examples of beers sold by Ghost:
- Midnight Oil. Oak Ages Imperial Stout. 12.7% ABV.
- King Kegwa. Coffee Imperial Stout. 10.7% ABV.
- Black Magic Vanilla Sky. Imperial Stout brewed with vanilla beans soaked in Wild Turkey Bourbon Whiskey. Not barrel aged. 11.8% ABV.
- Dawn To Dusk. IPA brewed with Vienna and Flaked Oats. Bitter hopped with Columbus and aroma, and dry hopped with Citra. 9.1% ABV.
Dry & Bitter Brewing Company
Located in Gørløse, the Dry & Bitter Brewing Company has been making fresh IPA:s, smooth Porters and tangy Sours since 2015. Today, their beer list includes of 100 titles.
Examples of beers from the Dry & Bitter Brewing Company:
- Christian Bale Ale. This is a heavy-hopped India Session Pale Ale with plenty of Mosaic hops.
- Dank & Juicy. This is a West Coast Style IPA made with Equinox, Citra and Mosaic hops. There is a strong presence of tropical fruit and fatty, resinous and juicy hops.
- Fast & Fruity. This IPA is similar to Dank & Juicy, but softer, rounder and creamier. The creaminess comes from oats.
- Hej 5. This Triple IPA was created to celebrate the company´s 5-year-anniversery in 2020. It is dry-hopped five times with Citra, Rakau, Nelson Sauvin, Mosaic, and Idaho 7 and the result is a lush and tropical flavour profile.
- Balancing Pact. This Double Dry-Hopped IPA brewed with only New Zealand hops is the result of a collaboration with the Swedish microbrewery Good Guys Brew. Waimea, Waiiti and Rakau is in the boil, and Motueka and Nelson Sauvin in the dry-hop.